Former biathlete, current coach….all round nordic enthusiast!

An elite athlete competing in the sport of biathlon: nordic ski racing combined with marksmanship

Friday, August 24, 2012

When technology fails...

For the past three weeks I had been diligently collecting pictures of my adventures, hoping to share them with you. Unfortunately, after one especially beautiful day of hiking and awesome views, I plugged my camera into my (8-year-old) computer and promptly lost the entire stick of photos. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. So there are no pictures in this blog post...

Two weeks ago I headed to Jericho, VT for the annual (hot and sticky) rollerski races at Ethan Allen. This year we've set up my training program a little differently with more of the focus on racing fast starting in December. Thus, I didn't do awesome in Jericho but instead used the races as my first practice events for what's coming in fall and winter. As always, Jericho lived up to it's reputation of being exceptionally hot, even more sticky, and very buggy. I found myself wishing I was in the County. We've been spoiled with stellar weather up there this summer. 

After the races I hung around the base (Jericho's roller loop and range are on a National Guard base) for a few more days with the US Women's B team before traveling with them to northern NH for a few more days of distance training in the White Mountains. Seth joined us in Easton where we were lucky enough to stay at a private home for almost a week. NH training adventures included a 6 hour , 90 mike, road bike ride (112 to Kancamagus, through Bear Notch, up 302 through Crawford Notch, to Bethlehem, down 142 to Franconia and home to our abode on 116), an uphill running time trial up park of Chocorua, kayaking on the Pemigewasset river, a classic rollerski, and a 10 hour/20 mile traverse of a lot of the Presidential Ridge. It was my first trip up Mount Washington...less than thrilling though because when you get to the top there are hundreds of people milling about, all of whom got there by sitting on their butts. Now I understand the stickers that say "The DRIVER of this car climbed Mount Washington". On our off day we went in search of swimming and ice cream. We found some really cold water at Diana's Baths outside of Conway...once again, I wish I had the pictures. 

With the conclusion of my camp with the B Team Seth and I are at home visiting my parents for a few days before we make our journey back north. I'm looking forward to Gilford Old Home Day here on Saturday (highlights: 5k Road race and the best book sale ever - $5 for a BAG of books!), visiting my Omi at her art show in Meredith sometime this weekend, and hopefully a few more days of awesome, warm weather. Fall is coming though...don't be fooled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment