Former biathlete, current coach….all round nordic enthusiast!

An elite athlete competing in the sport of biathlon: nordic ski racing combined with marksmanship

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

In like a lion, and out like a....wait, it's even not March yet!

Two posts in one day....so sorry but I had lots of great pictures I wanted to get up!

While the rest of this winter has been "light" on the snowfall, February is trying to make up for it in its last week. Friday night we had a 17'' (yes, you read correctly: seventeen inches) storm followed closely by another 5'' last night. And the forecast has lots of snowflakes on each day of the next week too!

The new snowfall put a bit of a damper on the 10th Mountain Women's Day, which happened on Saturday morning. Not everyone was able to make it up for the event even after they delayed it till lunch time. I know Seth and I spent a solid two hours digging and snow blowing our way out of the driveway...and ours is a short driveway! For those who did make it out, the afternoon was a great time though and I hear that the snowshoe poker run after I left was a big success.

Sunday brought two more Aroostook Cups in Caribou. I only did the first, a mass start 5k skate race at Caribou High School. The second was a mass start 7.5k classic race at the Caribou Country Club. Both events were an awesome time. I wish I could have done the second as well but I had a biathlon time trial on Monday so I had to preserve some energy for that. I did take 1st in the women's skate race and 7th overall.

Monday was my most successful shooting effort at race pace yet this year. I did a four-stage pursuit format time trial on very soft trails, making the skiing part a bit harder than expected. Shooting however, was AWESOME! I shot 0,1,1,0 (meaning I hit 18 of 20 shots) for a 90% finish on the day. Great way to end a week of training!

Now, as always, some pictures:

 
Solid 16-17'' on the driveway....

With the wind that comes through our yard we end up with some tall drifts out back....

Line-up for the start of the Caribou 5k Skate Aroostook Cup (I'm in the white bottoms in the front row)

And they're off!

Heading into the last stretch...

Derek tries to put his skis while standing on a soft snowbank...he's standing on his right foot...about 18'' lower than his left ski! 

Start of the Henry Anderson 7.5k classic (L) and Seth (R) taking home the win and the overall pursuit victory. 

The drifts on route 161 were crazy! 

Seth and I had been trying (well not really) to kill a cactus that I brought up from home. After realizing it was probably being over-watered, sun-deprived, and frozen we put it on the dining room table. It's getting new leaves (it lost every last one) and new flower buds!

Up next: Aroostook Youth Ski Festival! Caribou High School, March 3, 8:30-12:30....BE THERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment