Former biathlete, current coach….all round nordic enthusiast!

An elite athlete competing in the sport of biathlon: nordic ski racing combined with marksmanship

Monday, December 19, 2011

Three days, three races, three podium finishes! 

I'm finally done with racing here in Minnesota for this year! Tomorrow I start my (long) journey home in the morning when we'll drive south to Minneapolis. I don't fly out till Wednesday evening though, so I get to spend a day and half in the twin cities. I'll arrive in Manchester airport in NH just after 12am on Thursday morning....three days from now. Now much traveling, but lots of time to get there! 

Today's race was a 12.5 km mass start race with four shootings (prone, prone, standing, standing). I skied consistently with my other races this weekend but really threw down on the final of the five loops in an effort to chase down first place but also keep from getting caught by my teammate, BethAnn, who finished a very close third. I missed a total of 5 out of 20 shots, one in the first prone, and then two in each standing stage. 

So on the weekend I finished 3rd in the sprint (7.5 km, 2 shootings), 2nd in the pursuit (10 km, 4 shootings), and 2nd in the mass start! Considering how much better this is than my results at this time last year, I'm very happy. I feel like I've gotten off to a good start this winter and now I'm looking forward to improving my standing shooting and continuing to push harder on my skis. I've always raced slower in the early season (pre-January) so having so good results so early is really encouraging! 

Congratulations to all my teammates....together our team brought home 14 podium finishes! Good work Maine Winter Sports Center!

No comments:

Post a Comment